My present post is as Co-Senior Research Fellow in Cultural Studies at the Interaction Design Centre, University of Limerick. Eileen Coates and I act as advisers on educational issues to students and faculty in Ireland,India and elsewhere; we research European and Asian history and culture with a particular interest in Cultural and Literary Theory. Our interests include Radical Philosophy, Feminism, Postmodernism and the cultures of artistic practice. We are also keen gardeners and walkers. In recent years we have become involved in an education project in Lesotho and visited the country in February 2010 with the Kerry-based charity ActionLesotho.ie
(Selected list of publications.)
- The Chharas and their Drama of Liberation by Dakxin Bajrange and Brian Coates in Travellers and the Settled Community: A Shared Future eds. John Heneghan, Mary (Warde) Moriarty and Micheal O hAodha. Liffey Press 2012, pp. 92-115
- Brian and Eileen Coates, The Crafts in Ireland, Indian Crafts: the future in a globalizing world 2005. National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, (for publication 2009).
- Brian and Eileen Coates, Local/global theory through a project in Gujarat,
The Conflict of Faculties: Conference in honour of Christopher Norris, University of Wales, 2005.
- Brian and Eileen Coates, Technology as an aid to interpretation and dialogue in the Museum of Voice, Tejgadh, Gujarat, India. In John McCarthy, Ian Pitt and Jurek Kirakowski (eds.), Proceedings of the Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, Cork, September 2008, pp.39-44.
- Brian and Eileen Coates, Voice and Memory in the Museum, Chotro: A Conference on Indigenous Peoples in the Post-Colonial World, January 2008, Delhi.
- Brian Coates, Patricia Lynch and Joachim Fischer (eds), Back to the Present, Forward to the Past: Irish Writing 1798-1998. Proceedings of the IASIL Conference 1998. Two vols. Rodolpi 2006
- Brian Coates, Intellectual Capital: A Habermasian Introduction (with David O’Donnell and Philip O’ Regan) Journal of Intellectual Capital Vol. I. No. 2, 2000, pp.187-200.
- Brian Coates, The King James Bible as Sign System in the Eighteenth Century, MICA Review: the language of enquiry, 2003, pp.15-21.
Journal special issue
- Brian Coates, Catalogue Essay on Paintings of Enda O’Donoghue 2007-2005. OktoberDruck. Berlin 2008.
- Brian and Eileen Coates, Vaacha: Voice and Memory in the Museum. Moving Worlds, A Journal of Transcultural Writings. Vol. 9, No. 1. 2009, pp.116-122.