Liam Bannon has previously held the positions of Director of the IDC and Professor of Computer Science, Dept. of Computer Science & Information Systems. Liam is interested in improving the utility, usability, and desireability of the computational artifacts we design. He has been involved in examining alternative conceptual and methodological frameworks for understanding human activities, and their mediation by various technologies. This quest for more adequate explanatory frames has lead him to examine aspects of activity theory, ethnomethodology, and phenomenology. Liam takes an understanding of use as being a prerequisite for design, and wishes to understand human practices. He also wishes to encourage a more participative approach towards the design field. Liam emphasizes the cooperative nature of human work and its implications for design, and has played a major role in developing CSCW issues in Europe – being a founding editor of the CSCW Journal. More recently, he has become involved in exploring the field of Interaction Design, as an emerging, and distinct interdisciplinary field that has particular pertinence in this age of ubiquitous technology. Together with the rest of the IDC team, Liam is exploring how to create novel interactive media and infrastructures that will hopefully enhance different aspects of people’s lives.
(Selected list of publications.)
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2005), “Space, place and the design of technologically enhanced physical environments”, in Turner, P. and E. Davenport (eds.), Space, Spatiality and Technology, London: Springer.
- Lennon, M., Bannon, L.J., Ciolfi, L. (2005). “Combinatory Methods for Developing Student Interaction Design Projects”, In P. A. Rodgers, Brodhurst, L., & Hepburn, D. (eds.) Crossing Design Boundaries. London, Taylor & Francis.
- Bowers, J., Bannon, L., Fraser, M., Hindmarsh, J., Benford, S., Heath C., Taxén, G. and Ciolfi, L. (2007), “From the Disappearing Computer to Living Exhibitions: Shaping Interactivity in Museum Settings”, in Streitz, N., Kameas, A. and Mavrommati, I. (Eds.), The Disappearing Computer: Interaction Design, System Infrastructures and Applications for Smart Environments. Springer, Heidelberg. LNCS 4500
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L., and M. Fernström (2001). “Envisioning and Evaluating ‘Out-of-Storage’ Solutions”, in Bearman, D. & Garzotto, F. (Eds.), Proceedings of ICHIM01 International Cultural Heritage Informatics Meeting: Milan, September 2001.
- Ciolfi, L., McLoughlin, M. and Bannon, L. (2008), “Lessons from a Walk in the Park: Augmenting the Visitor Experience at Heritage Sites”, to appear in McCarthy, J., Pitt, I. and Kirakowski, J. (Eds.), Proceedings of iHCI 2008.
- Storni, C. and Bannon, L. (2009) Reassembling Healthcare: toward a patient-centric approach, Proceedings of the Healthcare Informatics Society of Ireland 14th Annual Conference, Dublin, Ireland (pg. 8)
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2002), “Observing, Analysing, Designing: Towards enhanced interactive museum exhibits”, in Gallwey, T., Waldmann, T., O’Sullivan, L. (Eds.), Irish Ergonomics Review, Proceedings of the Irish Ergonomics Society Annual Conference, University of Limerick, April 2002.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2002). “Designing Interactive Museum Exhibits : Enhancing visitor curiosity through augmented artefacts”, in Bagnara, S., Pozzi, S., Rizzo, A. and P. Wright (Eds.), Proceedings of ECCE11, European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, Catania (Italy) September 2002. Awarded Best Paper.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2003), “Learning from Museum Visits: Shaping Design Sensitivities”, Proceedings of HCI International 2003, Crete June 2003.
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L. J. and Fernström (2007), “Visitors contributions as cultural heritage: designing for participation”, Proceedings of ICHIM 2007, Toronto (Canada), October 2007.
- Fraser, M, Bowers, J, Brundell, P, O’Malley, C, Reeves, S, Benford, S, Ciolfi, L, Ferris, K, Gallagher, P, Hall, T, Bannon, L, Taxen G, Hellstrom, S. (2004). “Re-tracing the Past: Mixing Realities in Museum Settings”, in ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology ACE 2004. 3 rd – 5 th June 2004 National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Hall, T., Bannon, L., Ciolfi, L., & Murphy, E. (2005) “Disappearing technology, emerging interactivity: designing ubiquitous computing to enhance children’s learning in museums”. To appear in the proceedings of EARLI 2005, Integrating Multiple Perspectives on Effective Learning Environments. 11th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, August 23-27, 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Hall, T., Bannon, L., Ciolfi, L., Ferris, K., Gallagher, P., Hickey, N. and A. Hedman (2004), “Tools for Open Interpretation: using novel, non-desktop computing to support multiple perspectives in children’s historical understanding”, Proceedings of ICLS04, International Conference on the Learning Sciences.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L, Hickey, N., and L. Bannon (2002). “From hands-on to minds-on: toward the design of interaction and technology to enhance children’s learning in a museum”, Proceedings of ICLS02, International Conference of Learning Sciences, Seattle (WA) October 2002.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L., Fraser, M., Benford, S., Bowers, J., Greenhalgh, C., Hellström, S.O., Izadi, S. and H. Schnädelbach (2001). “The Visitor as Virtual Archaeologist: Explorations in Mixed Reality Technology to Enhance Educational and Social Interaction in the Museum”, Proceedings of VAST01 Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, Glyfada, Nr. Athens, Greece, 2001.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Ferris, K., Bannon, L., Gallagher, P. and N. Hickey (2003). “The Second Living Exhibition of the SHAPE project: supporting innovative exploration of artefacts with novel learning technology in the museum”, Proceedings of EdTech2003: The Fourth Annual Irish Educational Technology Users, Waterford (Ireland), May 2003.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Hickey, N. and L. Bannon (2002), “Design to Enhance Children’s Interaction in a Museum”, Interaction Design and Children, Eindhoven, August 2002.
- Kieran Ferris, Liam J. Bannon, Luigina Ciolfi, Paul Gallagher, Tony Hall, Marilyn Lennon: Shaping experiences in the hunt museum: a design case study. Conference on Designing Interactive Systems 2004
- Lennon, M., Bannon L.J. and Ciolfi, L. (2005), “Combinatory Methods for Developing Student Interaction Design Projects” in Proceedings of the 3rd Engineering and Product Design Educational International Conference, Napier University Edinburgh, Sept. 2005
- M. Fernström, E. Brazil, and L. Bannon. An investigation of soft-button widgets using sound. In Proceedings of 2004 Le Journees de Design Sonore, Paris, October 13-15 2004. French Acoustical Society.
- Ciolfi, L. and Bannon, L.J. (2007), Proceedings of iHCI07 – The First Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, University of Limerick May 2007, ISBN/S 1-905952-02-3 978-1-905952-02-1
- Ciolfi, L., Cooke, M., Hall, T., Bannon, L.J. and Oliva, S. (eds.) (2005), Proceedings of the International Workshop “Re-Thinking Technology in Museums: towards a new understanding of people’s experience in museums”, University of Limerick June 2005, ISBN 1-874653-80-1
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L.J. and Fernström, M. (2008), “Including visitor contributions in cultural heritage installations: Designing for participation”, “Museum Management and Curatorship”, Vol. 23, Issue 4, pp 353-365
- Bannon, L. and Ciolfi, L. (2005), “Interaction Design @ IDC Limerick”, Interaction Design and Architectures, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 24-31.
- Ciolfi, L. and Bannon L.J. (2007), “Designing Hybrid Places: merging interaction design, ubiquitous technologies and geographies of the museum space”, Co-Design, 3:3, 159 – 180
- Ciolfi, L., Fernström, M., Bannon, L.J., Deshpande, P., Gallagher, P., McGettrick, C., Quinn, N., and Shirley, S. (2007) “The Shannon Portal Installation: An Example of Interaction Design for Public Places”, IEEE Computer, July 2007, pp 65-72.
- Ciolfi, L., Fitzpatrick, G. and Bannon, L., (2008), “Settings for Collaboration: The Role of Place”, Computer Supported Cooperative Work Journal, Springer, Vol. 17, Nos. 2-3, April/June 2008 (91-96).
- Hall, T., Bannon., L., Ciolfi, L., & Murphy, E. (2005) “Hybrid digital-physical exhibitions: Creating new possibilities for education through novel computing in museums.” Journal of Education in Museums. 26, pp. 13-18. Group for Education in Museums (GEM): U.K. Stevenson, J. (Ed.).
- Lennon, M., Bannon, L.J. Ciolfi, L. (2006). “Space to reflect: combinatory methods for developing student interaction design projects in public spaces.” CoDesign 2(2): 53-69.
- M. Fernström, E. Brazil, and L. Bannon. Hci design and interactive sonification for fingers and ears. IEEE Multimedia, 12(2):36–44, 2005.
Journal special issue
- Ciolfi, L., Fitzpatrick, G. and Bannon, L. (Eds) (2008), “Settings for Collaboration: The Role of Place”, Special Issue of the Computer Supported Cooperative Work Journal, Springer, Vol. 17, Nos. 2-3, April-June 2008 (91-290).
Work in progress
- Storni, C. and Bannon, L. (2010) Towards the Design for chronic disease patent empowerment: A socio-technical approach, work in progress
- Avram, G., Bannon, L., Sheehan, A., Sigfridsson, A., Sullivan, D. – “Examining Life at the Code Face”, CHASE workshop, International Conference on Software Engineering, 13 May 2008, Leipzig, Germany
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2003), “Space, place and the design of technologically enhanced physical environments”, accepted to the Workshop on Space, Spatiality and Technologies, Napier University, Edinburgh December 2003.